I vacillated. First I figured I'd pay someone to stand in the iPhone line for me. Then I had this brilliant idea for a headline: "I'll buy you an iPhone. Really." I thought I'd get some serious traffic with a headline like that. I had it all figured out, though. This would be the post:
I'll buy you an iPhone. Really.
All you have to do is wait in line for me at either store in Austin, TX, with an end result of me getting the beefiest iPhone available.
What I expect:
- You’ll get there 24 hours in advance with a friend, and camp.
- You’ll bring all your own gear and food.
- You’ll be a nice person (as will your friend) – when I show up an hour or so before the store opens, I expect you to have made a few friends, and I expect no dirty looks when I join you.
What I’ll provide:
- I’ll be there when you start, and stick around for a bit. I’ll take our picture and post it to my blog, as proof of my intention to make good on the deal.
- I’ll show up shortly after you call me, take the place of your friend, and take care of the actual purchase.
- I’ll buy you the 4Gig iPhone (or the 8Gig if you want to contribute the difference).
So leave a comment, and tell me why you should be the one to do my bidding :)
Needless to say, I didn't post this. As it turns out, I'm not willing to spend $500 extra for an iPhone on day 1, and traffic for the sake of traffic isn't particularly appealing either. I started thinking again about standing in line myself. I have my flip video, a camera, a laptop with broadband wireless... I could liveblog while in line.
Then, of course, I thought about being in line in the sun. Or the rain. Yeah, not my style. So I hopped on Craigslist and found Patrick, who's willing to stand in line overnight for $200. I'll be meeting him at the south store this evening.
It's pouring out. I sure hope he's got a tent.
Update: as of 6pm Thursday, 24 hrs before the launch, there's no line at the south store in Austin. Patrick is already scoping things out. There is question as to whether camping is allowed. Regardless, looks like I'll have a sweet spot in line. Thanks Patrick!